During the very early hours of yesterday morning, Thursday 2018-01-04, residents of Hanover Park were greeted with a high police presence. Swift action based on crime intelligence information led police to lock down identified crime hotspot areas in the precinct.
Houses in Derwent Lane, Lansur Road, Hanover Park Avenue and Lonedown Road were cordoned off and search operations were conducted for Firearms
and illegal substances, as well as for repeat offenders for whom warrants of arrest had been issued.
The crime prevention operation resulted in seven repeat offenders being brought to book on outstanding warrants of arrest for various cases dating back as far as 2008.
The seven arrests were executed at addresses in Hanover Park, as follows:
- A 29 year old man was arrested at his house in Athburg Walk on a warrant of arrest issued for a crime committed in Claremont during June 2015.
- A 31 year old man was arrested at his house in Caspian Place on a warrant of arrest issued for a crime committed in Claremont during October 2013.
- A 56 year old man was arrested at his house in Athburg Walk on two warrants of arrest issued for a crime committed in Philippi during December 2014 and 2015.
- A 24 year old woman was arrested at her house in Hanover Park Avenue on two warrants of arrest issued for crimes committed in Claremont during December 2015 and in Rondebosch during December 2014.
- A 46 year old man was arrested at his house in Athburg Walk on a warrant of arrest issued for a crime committed in Lansdowne during April 2012.
- A 46 year old man was arrested at his house in Athburg Walk on a warrant of arrest issued for a crime committed in Philippi during October 2008.
- A 20 year old man was arrested at his house in Athburg Walk on a warrant of arrest issued for a serious crime committed in Philippi during November 2016.
These warrants of arrest were issued for various crimes such as murder, possession of drugs and shoplifting.
A 24 year old man was also arrested at a well-known drug outlet when police executed a search warrant at a house in Groenal Walk, Hanover Park. Police confiscated drugs and an undisclosed amount of cash during the operation.
While police were patrolling the streets of Hanover Park, they also arrested two men aged 18 and 25 respectively at Johndown Walk and Athen Walk in Hanover Park for the illegal possession of drugs. Drugs such as heroin were found to be in their possession.
When executing a search warrant at houses in Derwent Court and Lansia Walk in Hanover Park, police members confiscated dagga and arrested two men aged 47 and 46 respectively.
At about 15:00 police acted swiftly on information received and arrested four men, aged 37, 47, 47 and 54, inside a house at Soetwater Court in Hanover Park when they were found to be in possession of heroin, which was seized by police. The total estimated street value of all the drugs confiscated during yesterday’s lockdown operation is R4000.
The suspects who were arrested are due to appear in court soon on the said charges.
The Western Cape Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Khombinkosi Jula, thanked the police members involved, and commended them for their work. He said that police will maintain a zero tolerance approach towards crime and its perpetrators.
Anyone with information about crime can also contact the police at 021 690 1504 or Crime Stop at 08600 10111. All information will be treated as highly confidential.